Volcanoes and Cultures - Adventures in the South Sea
- 15 days volcano and photo expedition to Ambrym and Yasur volcanoes, Vanuatu -
The contrast between unspoiled rain-forest, coconut palm beaches, primitive culture and moon-like landscapes surrounding lava-spitting volcanoes could not be bigger: join us on an expedition to the two most active volcanoes of Vanuatu: Ambrym and Yasur.
The expedition is also an immersion into the diverse and rich traditional culture of the islands, the daily life in remote jungle villages where you meet the very hospitable and welcoming people of Vanuatu.
A great mix of adventure, breathtaking landscapes, unspoiled tropical beaches, friendly people and exotic culture awaits you.
- Multiple days (4 days each) for close observation of the active volcanoes Ambrym and Yasur
- Option to ascent Yasur every morning / every night (6-7 times total) included
- Option to abseil into Bembow crater on Ambrym
- Charter flight Port Vila to Ambrym with scenic rounds over Lopevi and Ambrym volcano for aerial photography
- Breathtaking moonscapes, unspoiled rainforests, pristine beaches
- Intense experience of traditional life and culture of Vanuatu
- Delicious food (rich buffets with roasted pig and chicken, vegetables, tropical fruits etc)
- Custom dances and local music
- Small groups
- Accompanying geologist/volcanologist expert in Vanuatu's volcanoes
Ambrym + Tanna 15 days (normal itinerary)
Due to the expedition character and the infrastructure of the destination, changes in the exact itinerary on location might be necessary (e.g. due to weather conditions, changes in domestic flight schedules etc.)
Arrival at the Airport of Port Vila & transfer to Port Vila town.
Morning departure from Efate (Port Vila) to Ambrym (chartered plane) with scenic flight time over Lopevi volcano and the Ambrym caldera.
Meeting with the exceptional family of your guide and transfer in the village with one stop to the hot springs of sesivi with a refreshment at the ocean shore. Welcome ceremony. Afternoon & evening to discover the village.
Hike and ascent into the caldera. Installation of the base camp, picnic lunch with traditional food and hike to discover Marum volcano.
Expedition to the crater of Benbow with its usually active lava lakes. Descend (abseiling) into its crater optional, conditions permitting (trained guides assist you with professional equipment). Return to the base camp in the evening.
2 more days in the Ambrym caldera to discover Marum and Benbow inside the large Ambrym caldera in order to maximize photo / video opportunities.
Cross the entire caldera and descend to the east coast of the island to the charming and unspoiled village of Endu on the east coast, where you'll be welcomed with lots of smiles. A welcome ceremony and a wonderful local dinnerwait for you.
Two full days to discover the traditional culture and life of the village: visit the schools, see dances, magic, medicine, local crafts and assist the preparation of the pig - the highest of ceremonial meals.
Transfer early morning to Toak or Penapo village; views of Lopevi stratovolcano. Discover the famous tradition and art of sand-drawing of Toak, a declared Unesco immaterial heritage.
On the way to the airport, visit lava tubes in Penapo; refreshment and flight back to Port Vila. After transfer to the previous hotel.
In the morning, we fly to Tanna island. A 4WD pick-up brings us accross the island to a simple, but charming guesthouse directly at the feet of Mt. Yasur volcano. After lunch, we drive and hike to Yasur volcano to enjoy its spectacular volcanic activity from close, as long as we wish...
Relaxing day-trip to Port Resolution combined with a magnificent lunch on one of the world's most beautiful beaches... Visit of Yasur volcano in the evening/night.
Optional early morning / sunrise excursion to Yasur volcano. Walk to the villages of Imao to see unique custom dances with an
amazing panoramic view on Yasur volcano.
After lunch, transfer to the village of John Frum: meeting (and luch) with village chief; side-trip to Sulfur Bay at the foot of Yasur to bathe in hot springs, visit of the local museum dedicated to the memory of John Frum.
If this falls on Friday, option to assist the all-night long dancing celebrations. Option to visit Yasur volcano again in the evening / night.
Optional morning visit to Yasur volcano.
Transfer to airport, flight Tanna - Port Vila. Transfer to the hotel, free lunch & afternoon. Farewell dinner at the seafront (not included).
Transfer to airport or own extension (recommended: 1-day tour on Efate).
Ambae-Santo-Ambrym-Tanna (21 days)
Airport pick-up and transfer to hotel. Group dinner.
Flight to Ambae Island for 4 days: trekking to Mt Gareth volcano. A free day on Santo Island on the way back to Efate
Transfer to Ambrym via Efate. This corresponds to day 2 of the normal itinerary and it's possible to join on this day if you don't want to go to Ambae.
The tour starts and ends in the capital Port Vila on Efate Island where international flights arrive (usually from Brisbane or Sydney in Australia or via Aukland New Zealand). Participants normally arrange their own flight tickets, but on request we can help with that.
Group size: 4-8
Duration: 14-20 days
Dates:26 Sep - 10 Oct 2018
29 May - 12 Jun 2019
Price (p.p.): 3950 € ?
- All transfers as described in the itinerary
- Charter flight Port Vila to Ambrym with scenic rounds over Lopevi and Ambrym volcanoes (great for aerial shots!) (min 4 participants)
- Domestic flights between Efate, Ambrym and Tanna
- Full board on Vanuatu (including table water) except a few meals as specified
- Accommodation in guesthouses, hotels and camping
- Porters, camp hands and local guides
- Camp kitchen
- Volcanologist guide / expedition organizer (Yashmin Chebli)