Volcanoes in the Land of the Maya
15-days study trip and expedition to Guatemala's volcanoes
With its 3 active and very distinctly different volcanoes Pacaya, Fuego and Santiaguito on a stretch of little more than 200 km, and many impressive conical peaks between them, Guatemala has the highest density of active volcanoes anywhere on the planet.
Accompanied by a trained volcanologist, you watch active volcanoes from up close and get an in-depth understanding of the powerful and turbulent natural processes at work.
With its colonial heritage, the lively and colorful town of Antigua is the perfect place to start and end our tour. There is time to explore the Mayan markets, listen and dance to the sounds of Salsa and Merengue, practice your Spanish and get in touch with the friendly and warm Guatemalan people.
- 3 active volcanoes from close: Fuego, Pacaya, Santiaguito
- Different viewpoints and extended observation time for each volcano
- Competent accompanying volcanologist
- Lake Atitlán's spectacular landscape from above, the shore and from the boat
- Impressive volcanic landscapes
- Colorful towns and markets
- Friendly hospitable people
- Selected accommodation in charming upscale hotels
- Comfortable camping
- Delicious food with free choice in selected restaurants
15 days itinerary
Individual private transfers from the airport to Antigua. Meeting with the guide and other participants at the welcome dinner.
Transfer to Pacaya, short hike, setting up camp and exploring the volcanoes activity in the afternoon-evening-night.
Morning observations at Pacaya, transfer back to Antigua for lunch, followed by a free afternoon and evening
Observation of spectacular pumice outcrops and short stops at viewpoints over Lake Atitlán with Toliman, Atitlán and San Pedro volcanoes.
Optional excursion to a viewpoint for sunrise over lake Atitlán. After breakfast at the hotel we start exploring the lake: boat tour on the lake, a hike along the stunning lake shore, and visit of a lively Mayan market town.
Option for another sunrise excursion to enjoy the beauty of the lake. After breakfast, transfer to Quetzaltenango town where we have lunch and settle into our hotel. The afternoon is used for a short hike and visit of the historic lava flows of nearby Cerro Quemado volcano.
Climb about 1300 m of elevation to reach the spectacular viewpoint on the top of Santa Maria volcano (about 3660 m). After lunch on the summit we make a short descent to reach the sublime viewpoint onto the active Santiaguito dome where we will be camping for the next 2 nights.
In the course of the morning we make the descent down from Santa Maria volcano and return to our hotel in Quetzaltenango where we have lunch. The afternoon and evening are free for you to rest and/or explore this charming colonial style town and its local market.
Transfer from Quetzaltenango to a comfortable hotel south of Santiaguito from where you have a stunning view onto the volcano´s active dome.
After an optional morning excursion to observe active Santiaguito volcano, we have breakfast at the hotel and then make our way to the volcano observatory of Fuego. We set up camp in the fields nearby the observatory and get ready for a first night of observing Fuego´s activity.
In the course of the morning we break down the camp and travel by minibus back to Antigua. After lunch, the afternoon and evening are free.
Transfer to Acatenango volcano - climb 1200 m to a great viewpoint at 3600 m elevation facing active Fuego volcano - optional climb to the summit - evening & night-time observation of Fuego's fireworks.
Optional morning excursions (further approach Fuego volcano / climb Acatenango´s summit), morning observation of Fuego´s activity from the campsite. Descend back to the start of the hiking trail, pick-nick lunch and return to Antigua. The remaining time in the afternoon is free, but the group meets up for a farewell dinner in a selected restaurant in historic Antigua.
Individual private transfers to the airport. Extension tours e.g. to Tikal can be offered at request.
The tour starts and ends in Guatemala city. Participants will be picked up from the GUA airport and transferred directly to their hotel in the colorful and charming city of Antigua, where the first and last night of the tour is.
Duration: 15 days / 14 nights
Dates:no scheduled dates at present
Price (per person): $ 3900 €£¥
- Accommodation in double / twin rooms & tents as per program
- All transportation in comfortable private minibus or 4x4 vehicles according to itinerary
- Private individual airport transfers Guatemala-Antigua-Guatemala
- Boat tour on Lake Atitlán
- Full board during camping (hot tea & coffee at all times, fruit, cake, cooked breakfast (e.g. omelette, pancakes, rice), lunch snack, fully cooked 3-course dinner with soup + pasta or rice with meat + desert)
- 3 liters of drinking water per person per day during trekking
- All camping gear except personal sleeping bag (spacious dome tents, inflating mattresses, cooking gear etc)
- Kitchen tent and cook
- Camping chairs (one for each participant)
- Restaurant meals as specified with B(breakfast), L(unch), D(inner) including drinking water, coffee and tea
- Entrance fees to National parks and sites
- Porters for Pacaya, Santa Maria and Acatenango (porters for camping gear + food + 1 porter per person carrying up to 15kg personal gear; extra porters can be hired at extra cost)
- Local guides for security
- Tips for local staff (porters, local guides, ...)
- Experienced English-speaking Guatemalean guide during the whole trip
- Professional accompanying volcanologist from our team