Mountains of Fire - Stromboli to Etna
- walking & study tour with a volcanologist to Etna, Vulcano, Lipari and Stromboli -
- Attivo attività vulcanica sull'Etna e Stromboli
- Dimensione del piccolo gruppo
- Spiagge e alloggi
- Buoni livelli di sforzo e rilassamento
- Delicious south-Italian food and wine
- Prsence d'un volcanologue
Itinerary 9 days
Arrival at and pick-up from Catania airport, transfer to a hotel in the old city center
Boat transfer to Vulcano island to visit the warm fumaroles on the beach, climb the volcano´s active La Fossa crater and optional swimming in the volcanic mud pools.
Morning transfer by boat from Vulcano to Stromboli, evening hike to the Sciara del Fuoco viewpoint
Free morning before we set off on a late afternoon climb to Stromboli's summit with active craters. One hour of eruption viewing around sunset before nighttime descend.
Morning boat trip around the island and visit of the village Ginostra and lunch. Afternoon and evening free to relax and/or undertake an additional climb to the summit craters, hike to the Sciara del Fuoco,...
Transfer to Lipari island and visit of the castle and archaeological museum followed by a hike to the obsidian and pumice deposits and afternoon transfer to Etna
Full day excursion on the summit region of Mt Etna to observe its smoking craters, volcanic phenomena and moonlike landscapes (weather and volcanic activity permitting)
Second full day excursion on Mt Etna which focuses on a spectacular hike into the giant Valle del Bove depression on the volcano´s SE flank.
Transfer from Etna to Catania and end of tour with drop off at the airport or own extension program
Due to weather conditions and volcanic activity, the exact itinerary might vary slightly.
Travel arrangements to and from Catania are not included in the tour package, in order to give everybody the best chance to plan his/her trip according his preferences. Catania is easily reached by plane or train (e.g. from Rome airport or other cities). We will be happy to make suggestions and can help you with such travel arrangements, as well as assist you with your international travel to Italy.
Group size: 4-8
Durata: 9 days (8 nights)
Date:12-20 Oct 2019
11-19 Apr 2020
2-10 May 2020
9-17 May 2020
16-24 May 2020
Prezzo (p.p.): 2780 € ?
- Accommodation in double (twin) bed room in good to excellent hotels (***-****)
- Half-board (except on the day we climb to Stromboli´s summit), usually dinner menu (including water and table wine or beer, coffee in reasonable amounts)
- Tutti i trasporti ed escursioni come da programma
- Le quote di iscrizione a musei, siti archeologici, vulcani, ecc, come descritto
- Fully authorized local mountain guides for Etna and Stromboli
- Experienced volcanologist from our team as tour guide (Dr. Tom Pfeiffer, Dr. Marco Fulle, or Yashmin Chebli)
Tour guide:Since we started organizing this tour in 2002 it has been guided mainly by volcanologist Dr. Tom Pfeiffer or astronomer Dr. Marco Fulle, and occasionally by geologist Yashmin Chebli from the VolcanoDiscovery team, who many will know from our volcano expeditions in Vanuatu and on Hawaii.
These long-term friends are volcano photographers who frequently traveled to Etna, Stromboli and many other volcanoes when they erupted over the past two decades. They both know Etna and the Eolian Islands very well - including the best local restaurants and nicest hikes!