Volcanoes and Spices
- 17 days volcano trekking tour to the Molucca Sea: N-Sulawesi, Karangetang and Halmahera -
Two active subduction zones to the west and east have consumed a small oceanic microplate, the Molucca Sea plate, producing two active volcanic arcs in North Sulawesi and in Halmahera. On this tour we visit no less than 5 of the most active volcanoes in the world, two of which - Dukono and Ibu - have been in near permanent activity for years while the others, Lokon, Soputan and Karangetang erupt frequently.
Each of the volcanoes is completely different in character and provides a great adventure to explore. The tour for a small group is an immersion into colorful cultures and an intense meeting with its very friendly people. Last but not least, the delicious, spicy cuisine of the region will enchant you.
- All major active volcanoes of North Sulawesi: Lokon, Soputan, Karangetang
- Ibu and Dukono on Halmahera: two of the world's most active volcanoes
- Ternate with its colonial charm and gemstone trade
- Delicious food
- Very small group
- Very colorful and friendly culture
- Great mix of adventure, physical effort and relaxation
- Excellent opportunity to combine volcanoes with world-class diving experiences
- Experienced tour leader from the VolcanoDiscovery Indonesia team
N-Sulawesi - Karangetang - Halmahera
Pick-up from Manado airport and transfer to Tomohon where we will stay the next nights in beautiful bungalows.
Tomohon is renowed for its local products and crafts. The town is located in the notably cooler highland at about 700 m altitude, between Mahawu and Lokon volcanoes, and has a perfect climate.
If your arrival is early, you have time to either explore Tomohon and its markets.
Climb Lokon volcano
In the morning, we drive to the trailhead at the foot of Mahawu crater, from where it is an easy, 1-hr hike to its spectacular crater rim, with great views on the surrounding volcanic landscape and into its crater with small colored ponds. After a lunch at the beautiful nearby lake Tondano, we have time to visit local markets, the lake or other interesting sights.
Trek to Soputan's caldera rim, camp.
Spare day - either spent at Soputan (if active) or return to Manado / Tomohon for spontaneous activites.
Sail from Manado to Siau (overnight)
Climb Karangetang volcano (conditions permitting). Sail to unspoilt uninhabited Mahoro island to relax (beach camp).
Depending on the boat schedules, we sail back to Manado during the day or over night.
Fly to Ternate, transfer by speed boat to Jailolo on Halmahera and drive to the foot of Ibu volcano (Duono village).
Climb Ibu volcano (approx. 5-6 hrs), camp on crater rim.
Return to Duono, continue to Jailolo. En route visit a hot spring.
Transfer to Tobelo. Visit the Dukono volcano observatory and prepare the logistics of the coming adventure.
Optional visit of the local market, trek to Dukono volcano (approx. 3 h).
Climb to the rim to see the activity of the volcano (ash eruptions, if condition allowing). Descend back, transfer to Tobelo.
Return to Ternate. Visit of a local gem market. Free afternoon.
Fly to Manado, transfer to Tomohon. Free afternoon.
The tour ends with transfer to Manado and the airport at the time you need it.
The tour starts and ends in North Sulawesi's capital Manado (airport code MDO) which can be reached from many of the larger Indonesian airports, but also through Singapore and other regional cities.
If you need connecting flights within Indonesia, we can provide these for you (approx. 100-150 EUR typically for one leg, e.g. Jakarta-Manado or back).
Group size: 2-6
Duración: 17 days / 16 nights
Fechas:3-19 may 2020
7-23 jun 2020
6-22 jul 2020
9-25 ago 2020
6-22 sep 2020
Precio (pp): 3960 € ?
- All accommodation in double rooms / tents
- Full board with drinks (excl. alcoholic drinks) as specified in the program (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Todas las transferencias de tierra, mar y aire como se describe en el programa
- Airport transfers from and to Manado airport
- Entry fees, visits to parks and sites etc. as described by the program
- Local guides, cooks and porters
- VolcanoDiscovery Indonesia tour guide (normally Andi)
Tour guide:The tour will be accompanied / guided on location by one of our professional local guides in Indonesia, typically Andi or Galih. They have extensive knowledge not only about the volcanoes, but also about their country and culture.
Our guides all speak English and Indonesian, some also French.