Volcanoes of Ambrym - the Grand Traverse
11-days volcano expedition to Ambrym - individual departures & group tours
- 8 days on Ambrym including 4 nights camping in the Ambrym caldera
- 4 craters: Mbuwelesu, Niri Mbuwelesu, Mamboen Niri Mbuwelesu (Marum), Benbow
- Frequently active lava lakes of Marum and Benbow
- Spectacular tropical and lunar landscapes of the giant Ambrym caldera
- Magical traditional dances
- Traditions and culture of the Nivane people
- Visit of a magnificent waterfall
- Highly experienced guides and trained staff
- Acompañando vulcanólogo
11 day itinerary with 8 full days spend on Ambrym
For an expedition like this, any program presented must be considered indicative: unexpected changes in flight schedules, volcanic and weather conditions etc. could make modifications in the actual itinerary necessary. In particular, it could result in that the return to Port Vila must be anticipated by one day. In this (unlikely) case, the additional day on Efate would be dedicated to a scenic round trip around Efate.
On request, modifications are possible as well - e.g. to spend one more day inside the caldera and one day less in Toak (although we highly recommend the presented itinerary).
Arrival at the Airport of Port Vila & transfer to Port Vila town.
Morning departure from Efate (Port Vila) to Ambrym (chartered plane) with scenic overfly to Lopevi volcano and the Ambrym caldera.
Meeting with the exceptional family of your guide and transfer to the village with a stop at the hot springs of Sesivi with a refreshment at the ocean shore. Welcome ceremony. Afternoon & evening to discover the village.
Hike and ascent into the caldera. Installation of the base camp, picnic lunch with traditional food and hike to discover Marum volcano.
Expedition to the crater of Benbow. Descend (abseiling) into its crater optional, conditions permitting (trained guides assist you with professional equipment). Return to the base camp in the evening.
2 more days in the Ambrym caldera to discover Marum and Benbow inside the large Ambrym caldera in order to maximize photo / video opportunities.
Cross the entire caldera and descend to the east coast of the island to the charming and unspoiled village of Endu on the east coast, where you'll be welcomed with lots of smiles. A welcome ceremony and a wonderful local dinner wait for you.
Two full days to discover the traditional culture and life of the village Endu: visit the schools, see dances, magic, medicine, local crafts and assist the preparation of the pig - the highest of ceremonial meals.
Transfer from ENDU to the Penapo village to discover one of the largest Banyan trees on the island. After lunch flight to Port Vila. Free time, relax.
Transfer to airport or own extension (recommended: 1-day tour on Efate).
This adventure starts and ends in Port Vila on Efate Island, Vanuatu's capital. The day of departure is depending on the domestic flight schedule of AirVanuatu (alternatively: charter flights). It is both a perfect stand-alone program if you only have limited time to visit Vanuatu and follow the priciple "less is more", or can be combined with visits to other islands, e.g. Tanna with active Yasur volcano - for example, our program "Yasur Volcano Adventure".
Group size: 4-8
Duración: 11 days
Fechas:20-30 sep 2020
Price (per person): 3150 € $£¥
- Experienced geologist guide from the VolcanoDiscovery team
- 2 equipos de guías y porteadores
- Un portero por persona para propio equipo (además de cargadores para el campo); cargadores adicionales se pueden arreglar a un costo adicional
- Los cocineros experimentados y las manos del campo
- Todos los alojamientos como se especifica en casas de huéspedes de carácter familiar (ocupación doble) (4 noches), campamento en el interior de la caldera (3 noches) y en un bonito hotel en Efate (1 noche)
- Camp kitchen equipment
- Activities and excursions as per program
- Pensión completa incluyendo agua potable, té y café, zumos frescos
- El equipo de seguridad (cuerda estática, los ascendentes y accesorios) para el rappel opcional descender al cráter de Benbow
- Todos los derechos de inscripción y el pueblo tarifas adecuadas
- Todos los traslados por tierra y mar en Ambrym y Efate
- Interno vuelo de regreso a Port Vila - Ambrym (vuelos charter disponibles con cargo adicional)
Tour guide:The expedition will be accompanied by VolcanoDiscovery team volcanologist Yashmin Chebli. Yashmin is trained geologist with a university Master's degree and member of SGF (Société Géologique de France). He has been working as tour guide and expedition leader to actives volcanoes, volcano photographer and consultant for more than 30 years. His areas of expertise include the active volcanoes in Italy, Vanuatu, the Hawaiian Islands, Guatemala, RD of Congo, Tanzania, Costa Rica and others. Besides his mother tongue French, Yashmin speaks several languages including English, Italian, and Spanish.
Website: www.vanuatu-expedition.com (photos) and Youtube channel!